Thursday, November 15, 2012

Colored Pencil Holders


 


Every year my kids and I make up boxes for Operation Christmas Child.  These boxes go to needy kids across the globe - we have a lot of fun putting them together.

I was thinking that it might be nice to stick some homemade things in the boxes this year.  Not to be cheap (it'd be way cheaper, I think, to pop into some Box Store and buy the things I want to make) but because I think well done homemade things last 1000% longer.  I mean, seriously, right?  Not only that, but I love making things for people, especially kids. 

With that all said, let's get cracking.

Out of the several pencil rolls I pinned I chose two inspiration Pins for this project.

The first one is from My Poppet:

 
How beautifully simple! I don't have a serger, but I can certainly use the overcasting foot on my machine to make some mock serged seams. I particularly love the fact that there is no turning in this project. Super, super simple.
 
THEN there is this one from Little Munchkins:
 
 
The flap to keep those pencils in is brilliant and the fabrics are gorgeous.
 
I'm thinking that a kid who has very little to begin with will want to protect her pencils from falling out of the roll, so a flap is a must. Simple is also a must since I'm making several of them. Something sturdy is necessary too - sharpened pencils are sharp & I'd hate to have the tips poking holes in the fabric. Yeah, and once my kids see these they're going to want one too. Hmmm, maybe make a few more for stocking stuffers?  Oh, and for that emergency "That birthday party is TODAY?!" gift. Yes. I will be making more than several. Assuming they come out OK of course.
 
So what to do?? Combine them!
 
I'm going to take the simplicity of the first roll (i.e. serged edges), the flap from the second roll and add interfacing between two pieces of fabric to add some protection from those sharp points. I'm supposing here I could use a heavier weight fabric like duck or canvas but I don't have those on hand. Besides, duck and canvas don't come in all the adorable prints that cotton does! And yes, adorable is definitely a must.
 
What you will need:
  • 2 pieces of cotton quilting fabric cut to 12.5 inches x 15 inches, ironed nice and flat
  • 1 piece of lightweight double-sided interfacing (I used Wonder-Under, original) cut to 12.5 inches x 15 inches
  • 12 7-inch colored pencils (7 inches is standard length)
  • 24 inches of coordinating ribbon
  • Sewing machine, thread, fabric scissors, ruler, pins, iron, ironing board
  • Optional but very helpful: water soluble fabric marker for marking lines, rotary cutter


Take the fabric piece you want showing on the outside of your colored pencil roll and put that piece wrong side up on your ironing board. Next, place the interfacing rough side down. The wrong side of your fabric and the rough side of the interfacing should be facing each other (#1 in the picture below). Iron these two pieces together according to the directions for your interfacing. Once cool, peel the paper backing off of your interfacing. Then put your second piece of fabric wrong side down so the right side is facing up (#2). Again, follow the instructions for your interfacing to "glue" the two pieces together.



Time to bring out the sewing machine! If you have a serger, I'm jealous. :) For those of us without a serger, now is the time to break out your overcasting foot. What is an overcasting foot? Just the best thing ever! Check out #3 for a picture of my beautiful overcasting foot. No overcasting foot AND no serger? It's OK. Just sew a straight seam & use pinking shears to finish the edge to help with fraying. Load the fabric into your machine and sew the 12.5" side of your fabric on the bottom only (#4).



Now, take this sewn edge and fold it to make a 5-inch pocket. Pin in place. Use your ruler to mark twelve 1-inch pockets for the pencils, starting 1/4" from the edge. I like to draw lines so my sewing is extra straight.



You are now going to finish one of the two long edges of the rectangle exactly the same way you sewed the bottom seam (serged, overlock or with a straight seam). I am starting with the right side. If applicable, switch from your overcasting foot to your standard straight stitch foot. Now sew along the remaining lines you made so you end up with 12 small colored pencil-sized pockets. Make sure you backstitch at the beginning and end of your rows!  We're going for durable.



You should have two unfinished edges left; a short side (the top) and a long side. Switch back to your overcasting foot and finish the remaining edges. Now take your ribbon, fold it in half, and pin it at the top edge of your pocket. Using your straight stitch foot, sew over the ribbon several times to ensure it won't fall off.


Trim your threads, spritz water on your project to get rid of those marker lines (if you used one) and load it up with pencils.

Naturally you must step back and admire your handiwork. If you're like me, you also parade it around so your family can admire it, too. I really hope the little girl who finds this in her box will love it!

In all I think this was a totally worthy project to pin and make. It's easy enough for a beginner to work through & the end result is pretty AND functional. Who can complain about that?!

I hope you enjoyed my tutorial!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment